The most horrendous thing of all, is the fact that nobody in the Middle East, except for Israel, counts Obama. He barely exists, a bit under media reports, but never in cartoons, neither in dreams, nor in nightmares. G.W. Bush was hated, but he had constantly been referred to, because he was feared of. But Obama simply does not exist. Following decades of extensive American involvement in the Middle East, in the form of pressures, intrigues, deals, mediation, diplomacy, threats, concessions, ambassadors, insults, anger, Kissinger, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush Senior & Junior and Bill Clinton – all of a sudden silence has rested upon. The residing President drowned in an assignment above and beyond his size. On the occasion of this achievement, here are ten Honorary Salvos.
When he nearly reaches the first half term in office, something strange happened to the President of the United States, in respect of the Middle East. One can’t tell he is a bad president, neither can one tell he is a good one, because he simply vanished, completely gone. When this region turns explosive and violent once again, the president of the greatest superpower on earth, has turned to be a naked gun. The United States had completely faded away in the Middle East. Glory, glory Halleluiah.
On the occasion of this achievement, here are ten Honorary Salvos in honor of the most resounding failure of an American president, comparable only to the failure of his hyperactive preceding president, but in a backwards manner:
1. When the Egyptian president didn’t come to greet Obama’s face in Cairo, last June, it was an indication by Middle Eastern codes, that Mubarak knew in advance, Obama’s speech to the Muslim world is going to yield the opposite results, contrary to Obama’s wish for a new beginning between the US and the Muslim world. Mubarak did not want his picture alongside the foreseen failure and he even refrained showing himself at the same hall where Obama spoke. A year and a half later, when Obama’s plan of approaching the Muslim world completely crushed, even Obama got it when thousands of Muslims are killed by Muslims all over and Terror atrocities inside the US, are being thwarted in the last minute and even secular Turkey marches into the hands of radical Islam. Obama has no contingency plan, no agenda and not even a road directive. All his attempts to address moderate Arab states were responded by refusal and with disrespect. Obama was left naked.
2. Obama talks but doesn’t act is a fact well known throughout the M.E. It was the acclaimed Benjamin Disraeli who said: “Do not debate matters, there’s no need for discussion either, just show me the results”. Barack Obama cannot present any achievement in the Middle East. Nothing. He is a champion in speeches, in using high words and hollow, not necessarily bright, slogans. But in the Middle East, particularly amongst Arab regimes, speeches, intellectuals and high words, are looked at in contempt and Obama is perceived as the negative embodiment of an intellectual.
3. Barack Obama assumed as if some detachment from Israel would gain him the sympathy of the Arab moderate camp. The outcome was incomprehensible: Obama brought about the dismantling of the Arab moderate camp and also lost Israel’s trust. The Arab moderate camp is practically non-existent ever since Qatar and Jordan quit, whereas entities such as Lebanon and the Palestinian leadership stayed on the fence. Obama’s lack of road directive played a significant role in the weakening of the moderate camp, because if the U.S. is weak and confused, then Iran is strong and threatening and there is no guarantee there will be anyone to protect the Gulf States. But it isn’t merely Iran pulling towards the radical direction, but also Turkey trying hard to establish a radical alliance of its own in the region, after correctly identifying the vacuum the Americans left behind. On the other hand, Obama is perceived by the absolute majority of the Israeli public, as a substantially hated personality, an unprecedented phenomenon amongst Israelis vis-à-vis any American president for dozens of years. Obama wanted both the Arabs and the Israelis on his side and lost both. Recent polls depict the U.S. as being yet again in a tremendous small stature amongst the Arabs and no Cairo speech or preening of the tongue, are going to help.
4. One must admit, Barack Obama looks ineffectual against Iran, and even the severe sanctions ordained last month by Congress on Iran, had been imposed against Obama’s opinion. He did not want to impose severe sanctions on Iran, but felt embarrassment in front of Congress’ determination. Even Iran knows this guy is not capable of ordering a military move, which explains Iran’s lack of concern. Iran estimates Obama is of weak character, one who worries and is too “liberal”. If G.W. Bush had been now in office, Iran would have been much more worried.
5. Obama is ineffectual in front of what’s happening yet again in Iraq where the American army is deployed. Given Obama’s early announcement about his plan to pull out the American army from this wretched country, Sunni terrorism went wild again, ruthless and violent than ever before. It’s about hundreds of terror casualties on monthly basis, about a renewed feeling of lack of security, while the president of the U.S. has no idea how to get out of there in peace. Obama doesn’t find interest in Iraqi politics as G.W Bush did, which brought about a significant drop down in the level of terror. Even the Iraqis complain that the U.S. vanishes in front of their own eyes.
6. Obama was wrong, by presuming to be one of the greatest persons in American history, such as Martin Luther King, FDR, or even Lincoln, what do you know. He tried wearing shoes above and beyond his size, because he has no leadership skills of such scale. Following decades of extensive American involvement in the Middle East, in the form of pressures, intrigues, deals, mediation, diplomacy, threats, concessions, ambassadors, insults, anger, Kissinger, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush Senior & Junior and Clinton – all of a sudden silence has rested upon. The residing President drowned in an assignment above and beyond his size.
7. Obama is one of those politicians convinced, everyone around them will be under the spell of their cosmic halo to become reconciled. He was absolutely confident the moment he takes office, the Israelis and the Palestinians will immediately run each into the arms of the other side in order to reconcile. During the first months of Obama’s reign, there was doubt if he indeed understood or really knew what’s going on under the Israeli-Palestinian axis, partly due to the bad counsel he surrounded himself with, some of them are Jews. Now, Obama at least understands, to what extent he did not understand. A-propos Palestinians, since the death of Arafat, they are not of interest to anyone in the American establishment, except for urgent circumstances, such as the Gaza war, when there was no other choice than sending George Mitchell to the region, sort of lip service. When did Hillary Clinton visit the region recently? What does the American policy stand for? Cooperation? Mediation? Arbitration? Coercion? There is a feeling the American Foreign Office has lost interest in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, maybe given the insight, this is not the heart of the conflict in this region. Iran, Iraq, Terrorism, Sunnis-Shiites, political Islam, all of these aspects had nothing to do with Israel and they are the most volatile ones.
8. It was rather a politician of the Democratic Party who brought about an unprecedented
strengthening of the brutality of Arab regimes surrounding Israel, in years. Bush eroded them, by demanding democracy, which was a mistake. But Obama completely abandoned them to themselves, an error from the other side, so they take advantage of the opportunity. A wave of harsh suppression flooded the M.E. around Israel. Arrests, tortures, disappearance of opposition activists, threatened media networks, overflowing jails, and all of this happens because there is no American supervision, no control and no interest.
9. The Middle East comprehended on the spot, what happens with Obama domestically. They read the polls about the collapse of his status within the U.S., the fact he is perceived as an unreliable politician by many, so the attitude towards Obama in the M.E., follows suit. He is perceived as lacking self-confidence in American politics, turned off, if he is seen at all. So much irrelevant, to the point his counsels dispatch him to various TV shows, just to let him be seen. We’re watching a magic circle: Obama’s global failures contribute to the crumbling of his domestic status, while the crumbling of his domestic status amplifies the weaving of his failures. Obama has no answer to this deadly magic spin.
10. The most horrendous thing of all, is the fact that nobody in the Middle East, except for Israel, counts Obama. He barely exists, a bit under media reports, but never in cartoons, neither in dreams, nor in nightmares. Bush was hated, but he had constantly been referred to, because he was feared of. But Obama simply does not exist. Syria let’s herself completely ignoring the U.S., because there is no one in the White House anyway, same as Iran, Al-Qaida, Hezbollah, Erdogan and others. An example demonstrating this fact is the Turkish Flotilla episode. Obama should have sent his Secretary of State on the spot, to Ankara and to Israel, to terminate the episode swiftly, but no one came from the U.S., they barely understood that the regional damages are going to be enormous. There is simply no one there, everyone in Washington disappeared. Once upon a time, the moderate Egyptians, the Saudis, the Moroccans, the Jordanians and the Palestinians, used to hurry up to Washington for every important matter, to coordinate, to get instructions and to consult. Today they don’t bother doing it, because it’s a waste of time. They have a deep feeling, the young president doesn’t have an idea what they are facing, so what’s all the fuss about. At most Obama will tell them, as he told the King of Jordan and the Palestinians: “So go and meet with the Israelis…”
This phrase alone demonstrates how hollow American foreign policy is, lazy and non-existent. Is it good? It is very bad, because in the worst neighborhood of this world, the M.E. neighborhood, one always needs a sheriff, being ready to make order during all occasional quarrels and brawls. Someone standing by with a big stick in his hand.
But the sheriff has gone. Israel is lucky enough because the Arab side understands once more, that Israel has its own big stick ready in its hand. Glory, glory Halleluiah.